- Organization: Clearway Energy
- Location: San Francisco, CA
What The Role Is
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Project Development, the Associate, Project Development is responsible for both supporting and directly managing the development of projects across the U.S. as a key member of a team charged with the development and execution into construction of Clearway Energy Group’s 9 GW solar, wind and storage project pipeline. The position will work with the Origination, Engineering, Project Finance and Construction teams across the full project lifecycle from origination to commissioning and all associated activities required to bring projects to successful commercial operation.
Candidates should have prior professional renewable energy project development experience with ability across project siting, land and real estate, regulatory and environmental permitting, interconnection, and transmission and power marketing. Candidates should also have experience with engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) engagement and have supported projects through one or more successful project financing processes.
This position will be in our Denver or San Francisco office or remote as applicable.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Manage and support the development of complex large-scale renewable energy projects from initial project proposal and siting, through to permitting, design, interconnection, approval, contracting, financing, and handover to construction
- Identify, propose, and implement creative or alternative project development approaches that reduce exposure to permitting risks, optimize development schedules or create additional project value
- Manage due diligence on development-stage project and portfolio acquisitions, including comparison and prioritization of multiple opportunities based on common siting, permitting, interconnection, power-marketing and other project metrics
- Manage and administer development services agreements with local / regional development partners; manage network of local project stakeholders (e.g., technical consultants, surveyors, land-persons etc.)
- Collaborate with engineering team and external consultants to evaluate site layouts and constraints, technology options, schedule implications, interconnection applications and studies
- Coordinate and provide input to project interconnection requests, load-flow and congestion studies, and other necessary aspects of securing project transmission
- Support the negotiation and diligence of critical project contracts and agreements including as PPAs, GIAs, Turbine Supply Agreements, and EPC contracts
- Conduct critical review of project pro forma models
- Support projects through financing diligence efforts to support obtaining cash equity, tax equity and/or project debt commitments prior to start of construction, and at term-conversion
- Coordinate and strategize with origination team on the marketing of development-stage projects for new power purchase and offtake agreements, including submitting responses to Request for Proposals (RFPs).
- Create and manage project budgets and schedules, including navigating internal project stage-gate reviews and investment decisions
- Maintain industry relationships/contacts and current knowledge of market drivers and industry trends to facilitate proactive development posture and early-mover positioning as opportunities materialize
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelors’ degree in engineering, business, economics, finance, environmental science or related field is required
- Minimum of 2 years of applicable experience in the renewable energy industry in the U.S., with direct experience in full life-cycle development of utility scale solar and/or wind projects
- Experience and familiarity with all facets of land development: landowner engagement and negotiation/contracting, title resolution, subdivision, agricultural land use/water restrictions, land (ALTA) surveys, GIS and other real estate elements as required
- Experience managing project schedules and project budgets, as well as understanding of key project value levers (commercial, financial, etc.)
- Experience managing cross-functional employee groups (i.e., project teams) and external stakeholders/agencies to execute on a project development strategy
- Knowledge of governmental mandates, environmental regulations or customer/market signals that impact or facilitate new development of renewable projects in major markets (CAISO, WECC, ERCOT, MISO, SPP, PJM, NYISO, ISO-NE)
- Ability to travel as required (>25%)
- If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications but see yourself contributing, please submit your resume.
What Would Be Nice
- Advanced study in business, finance, law, environmental science or public policy highly preferred
- Battery storage experience a plus
Clearway will not sponsor nonimmigrant visas for this position (H-1B, TN, E-3, etc.).
What We’ll Bring
About Clearway Energy Group
Clearway Energy Group is leading the transition to a world powered by clean energy. Along with our public affiliate Clearway Energy, Inc., we own and operate more than 8 gigawatts of renewable and conventional energy assets across the country. As we develop a nationwide pipeline of new renewable energy projects for one future, Clearway’s 6.9 gigawatts of operating wind, solar, and energy storage assets offset the equivalent of more than 10.5 million metric tons of carbon emissions for our customers today. Clearway Energy Group is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Carlsbad, CA; Scottsdale, AZ; Houston, TX; Denver, CO and Princeton, N.J. For more information, visit clearwayenergygroup.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Clearway, we create a community that isn’t about being the same – it’s about building a team of unique individuals, with different backgrounds and skill sets, coming together to build something big and make a difference in the world.
Clearway is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We intentionally foster a culture of inclusion that empowers our employees to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the team. Clearway is a proud promoter of employment opportunities to our Military and Veterans.
Working at Clearway, Hybrid Together
Here at Clearway, we’re committed to balancing flexibility while fostering strong relationships among our teammates. How do we do that? We prioritize new hires based near one of our offices in San Francisco, Carlsbad, Scottsdale, Houston, and Princeton. Our office-based employees typically work together from fabulous spaces on Tuesdays and Thursdays to collaborate & learn, build community, get to know one another, and enjoy company-provided meals and events.
What We Provide
The salary range for this position is $103,000 to $153,000 and is eligible to earn an annual cash bonus, subject to personal and company performance goals. The pay rate for the successful candidate will depend on geographic location, skills, relevant and demonstrated experience, education, training and certifications, and other factors permitted by law.
Clearway offers all eligible employees working 20+ hours per week a comprehensive menu of benefits: generous PTO, medical, dental & vision care, HSAs with company contributions, health FSAs, dependent daycare FSAs, commuter benefits, relocation, & a 401(k) plan with employer match, a variety of life & accident insurances, fertility programs, adoption assistance, generous parental leave, tuition reimbursement, & benefits for employees in same-sex marriages, civil unions & domestic partnerships. For more on Clearway benefits, visit our Benefits Website.