- Organization: Environmental Law and Policy Center (ELPC)
- Location: Chicago, IL/ Des Moines, IO/ Grand Rapids, IO/ Minneapolis, MN
The Environmental Law & Policy Center seeks to hire a public interest environmental attorney advocate with 0-3 years of experience following law school for an Associate Attorney position. This Associate Attorney will work on ELPC’s cutting-edge public interest litigation and innovative policy advocacy on issues like climate change, clean energy, natural resources preservation, and protecting clean air and water. This is an extraordinary time in which ELPC’s effective legal and policy advocacy is essential for protecting our core environmental values.
The Environmental Law & Policy Center is the Midwest’s leading environmental legal advocacy organization. We use the power of the law and strategic advocacy campaigns to create climate change solutions, advance clean energy, protect public health, and preserve the Midwest’s wild and natural places. Our staff is made up of extraordinary individuals who work together across states and disciplines to solve the most pressing environmental challenges of our times. Learn more at www.ELPC.org.
Work with ELPC’s Executive Director and Senior Attorneys on litigation and policy initiatives for clean energy, water, transportation, air, climate change, and natural resource protection programs. Associate Attorneys will work on multi-disciplinary teams with such responsibilities as:
• Participate in the full range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research and analysis, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
• Prepare memoranda on issues relating to ongoing and potential litigation projects.
• Draft motions, briefs, and other pleadings.
• Prepare comments on proposed agency actions, permits, and environmental review documents.
• Engage in proceedings before state and federal courts, public utility commissions, and other administrative tribunals.
• Engage with clients, coalition partners, and experts, as well as internal communications and legislative staff.
The candidate can work in our Chicago, Des Moines, Grand Rapids, or Minneapolis offices starting in September 2022.
Strong academic record. Excellent writing, speaking, and analytical skills. Interest in and substantive law and policy knowledge in at least one of the following fields: energy, environmental, transportation, air quality, land use, and/or natural resources law. Litigation experience is a strong plus. Experience engaging with policy and political issues, ranging from legislative work to campaign experience, is also a strong plus. The attorneys should understand and enjoy multifaceted legal advocacy, coordinated with media, legislative, economic, and policy analysis and organizing approaches. An inspired and demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and an ability to work productively as a member of a team of skilled professionals is required.