- Organization: E&E Lab
- Location: Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Sacramento, CA, Albany, NY, or Washington, DC
Locations: Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Sacramento, CA, Albany, NY, or Washington, DC
Who We Are
The University of Chicago Energy & Environment Lab (E&E Lab) partners with agencies at the local, state and federal level to identify, rigorously evaluate, and help scale programs and policies that reduce pollution and improve environmental outcomes, while ensuring access to reliable and affordable energy. The E&E Lab uses natural experiments, randomized control trials, behavioral economics, and machine learning to help policymakers identify and generate evidence around innovative approaches to their most pressing environmental and energy-related challenges.
The E&E Lab is part of the Urban Labs, a collection of labs that partner with government agencies to identify and rigorously evaluate policies with the greatest potential to improve human lives at scale. Urban Labs’ evidence-based approach gives policymakers and practitioners the knowledge they need to effectively achieve the greatest social good per dollar spent.
The E&E Lab is seeking Summer Research Assistants (RAs) with strong research, methodological, and programming skills to support large-scale environmental policy research projects. The RAs will work on a portfolio of projects designed to evaluate the impact of promising energy and environmental interventions. Typical research projects involve the analysis of environmental and energy data, utilizing quasi-experimental and experimental methods to provide government partners with guidance on key policy questions.
- Project development and project coordination
- Coding, review, and cleaning of data
- Data analytics, statistical analysis, and modeling
- Literature reviews
- Assisting in writing, formatting, and editing reports and works for dissemination
- Interest in and aptitude for developing advanced programming and analytic skills
- Experience with at least one statistical analysis language required; STATA, R, or Python strongly preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to synthesize multiple sources
- Strong initiative and a resourceful approach to problem-solving and learning
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- High attention to detail and organizational skills
- Knowledge of environment and/or energy policy issues preferred
- Significant progress towards an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant discipline
- Coursework in computer science, statistics, or engineering
- Research experience in an academic setting preferred
- Cover Letter
- Academic transcript(s)
Successful candidates will be paid a stipend and would join the E&E Lab for a period of approximately ten weeks, with a flexible start date. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with decisions made on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
The E&E Lab main office is in Chicago; some research staff are based in the offices of our federal and state government partners. Summer Research Assistant positions are available in: Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Sacramento, CA, Albany, NY and Washington, DC. Locational preferences should be noted in your application. (All placements and in-person activities will be subject to public health guidance regarding the COVID pandemic.)
To apply, please complete the form and upload your resume, cover letter, and transcript below. Questions and inquiries about the summer position should be directed to email@example.com