- Organization: Energy & Environment Lab
The University of Chicago Energy & Environment Lab (E&E Lab) partners with agencies at the federal, state, and local level to identify, rigorously evaluate, and help scale programs and policies that reduce pollution and improve environmental outcomes, while ensuring access to reliable and affordable energy. The E&E Lab applies rigorous evaluation and modeling methods, including natural and field experiments, randomized controlled trials, behavioral economics, and machine learning, to help policymakers identify and generate evidence on innovative approaches and policy solutions to their most pressing environmental and energy challenges.
The University of Chicago E&E Lab is seeking a Research Manager (RM) with strong research, methodological, and management skills to support large-scale environmental policy research projects. The RM will help manage a growing portfolio of projects designed to evaluate the effectiveness and impact of promising energy and environmental interventions. The RM will contribute to the design, implementation, and analysis of energy and environment research projects with direct applicability for policymakers. S/he will work closely with U.S. government agencies, municipal governments, researchers, and a dedicated team of research analysts, data scientists, and staff, to support research projects led by Faculty Director Michael Greenstone.
- Work with partners to identify analytical approaches to answer specific research questions or to provide analytical support to government partners.
- Construct, train, and deploy scalable machine learning algorithms for a variety of predictive analytics research projects.
- Meaningfully contribute to research design, analysis, and implementation of policy-relevant research projects.
- Manage data collection, econometric analysis and provide quality assurance for research projects.
- Manage research partnerships with government agencies and serve as project manager for research and technical assistance projects, including communications and project deliverables.
- Prepare results for memos, presentations, and papers targeting both policymakers and academic audiences.
- Help manage project teams and junior staff, lead task supervision and quality oversight.
- Ensure compliance with institutional, state and federal regulatory policies and procedures as well as internal data privacy and security policies.
- Assist with writing grant proposals and managing grant reports.
- Supports data collection and analytical needs of research projects. Conducts literature reviews and helps write reports and manuscripts. Ensures project compliance with different policies, procedures, directives, and mandates.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, computer science or related field
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics, computer science or related field.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience.
- Coursework in statistics, econometrics, data science, and computer science.
- Proficiency with R, Python, or Stata.
- Experience working with large and complex datasets.
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms in operational environments.
- Experience explaining complex statistical ideas and/or research projects to non-experts.
- Experience with GitHub.
- Experience working on field experiments / randomized controlled trials
- Strong background in applied statistics & econometrics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to present research concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to multitask and to prioritize activities to successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Strong project management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently, in a self-directed manner, and as a team member.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Knowledge and understanding of energy and environmental policy topics.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
- Transcripts (required)
- Three Professional References (required)