- Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
- Location: Remote
The Advocacy team within Membership manages EDF’s grassroots advocacy and outreach efforts. We communicate with our members about opportunities to take political action for environmental causes on the local, state and federal levels. Our work is integral to sustaining and developing relationships with our member base of activists and donors.
The intern would support the day-to-day work of engaging our most valuable supporters through the EDF Action Ambassadors program, plus other work as assigned in order to support our voter mobilization efforts ahead of the 2022 midterm elections. They would help develop and implement digital grassroots engagement strategies for our high-level advocates on local and national issues. These strategies may include creating campaigns to deliver calls and messages to legislators, producing resources to train advocates how to take more effective actions and organizing events to bring Ambassadors together and cultivate our relationship with them. Deliverables include action alerts, resources/tools and events.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Advocacy team and EDF Action to produce online activism campaigns
- Help develop tools and resources designed to train EDF Action Ambassadors to become more effective advocates
- Organize and facilitate online events for EDF Action Ambassadors
- Coordinate activities and actions between EDF Action’s on-the-ground organizers and the EDF Action Ambassadors program in order to support voter mobilization efforts ahead of the 2022 midterm elections.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in grassroots organizing, political advocacy and/or volunteer management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups of activists.
- Must be dedicated to EDF’s political goals, possess good time management, judgment and prioritization skills, and show the ability to take initiative when needed.
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Washington, DC strongly preferred, but open to U.S. remote.
This internship is up to 10 weeks in length starting in September.
Full-Time (35 hours per week) or part time (12-20 hours/week) depending on candidate’s availability.
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits at $17/hr or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.