- Organization: RMI
- Location: Boulder, CO/Remote
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking analytically, and working in groups? Are you passionate about developing innovative solutions to the climate crisis? Are you interested in being a foundational member of a quickly growing team at RMI?
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program is seeking a Manager to join our Carbon Markets and Offsets Initiative. This new initiative seeks to improve the transparency, efficiency, and quality of offset markets, ultimately accelerating progress towards a 50 percent cut in global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050. Through both research and demonstration, the Carbon Markets and Offsets Initiative will initially focus on how various technologies (e.g., satellites and remote sensing, machine learning, distributed ledger technologies) can improve offset quality. Over the coming year, our work will expand to cover other dimensions of the offset markets, including appropriate use of offsets across various industries.
RMI’s Managers are creative project leaders who mentor and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for the energy transition. The Manager for Carbon Offsets and Markets will lead project teams and work closely with RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects. Specific responsibilities will evolve over time as needed to support the initiative’s goals but will include managing the research and analysis of junior staff and facilitating collaborative, multi-stakeholder convenings. This position will report to the Principal for Carbon Markets and Offsets.
Your responsibilities as a Manager include:
- Shaping the strategy for the Carbon Markets and Offsets Initiative, and translating this strategy into various projects and activities
- Overseeing teams ranging from 5 – 15 (internal and external)
- Leading and contributing to research efforts and publications, including by managing the research and analytical activities of junior staff
- Acting as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders
- Coaching and motivating team members, including writing reviews for junior staff
- Contributing regularly to external interviews, videos, and publications
- Working with our development team to develop funding strategies
- Representing RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Master’s level degree in sustainability, economics, finance, business, engineering, or environmental science and 5+ years of relevant experience, OR undergraduate degree and 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience and expertise in either carbon markets and offsets or in one or more category of technology solutions (machine learning, AI, blockchain)
- Experience leading teams and managing complex project portfolios
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well
- Background working directly with senior-level stakeholders in the carbon markets and climate finance sectors
- Experience managing grant-driven and donor-driven projects
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations