- Organization: National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Location: Remote
The Pumped Hydro Storage project is looking for a graduate intern to assist with life-cycle inventory data collection and life cycle assessment for pumped hydro power storage technologies in the US.
Job Summary: The intern will join a team of researchers in NREL’s Strategic Energy Analysis Center (SEAC; www.nrel.gov/analysis) who perform modeling and analysis around the sustainability, economics and technical viability of various energy technologies. The successful candidate will aid in assessing the lifecycle environmental impacts from pumped hydro energy storage technologies. Specific research tasks may include:
- Support senior staff in conceiving, vetting, calibrating, and implementing novel approaches to lifecycle assessment.
- Perform literature reviews and write summaries of relevant material
- Complete data searches based on provided parameters or self-identified data needs; integrate data into modeling efforts.
- Perform analysis of data
Must be enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree program, or graduated in the past 12 months from an accredited institution. Internship period cannot exceed 12 months past graduation. Minimum of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
•You will need to upload official or unofficial school transcripts as part of the application process.
•If selected for position, a letter of recommendation will be required as part of the hiring process.
Additional Required Qualifications
Desired Education, Experience and Skills:
- Experience with lifecycle assessment and sustainability
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of current approaches and industry best practices
- Familiarity with renewable energy technologies.
- Degrees/backgrounds of particular interest: engineering, economics, data science, computer science, and statistics.
- Programming experience in Python and SQL.
The ideal candidate would possess at least some of the following preferred qualifications:
- Demonstrated proficiency in building computer models and/or simulations from scratch, and using said models and/or simulations in analysis tasks
- Experience with LCA software, particularly Brightway
- Knowledge of energy storage technologies