- Organization: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Location: Cincinnati, OH
The EPA National Student Services Contract has an immediate opening for a full time Environmental Solutions Program Support position with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA facility in Cincinnati, OH.
The Office of Research and Development at the EPA supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories and at universities across the country.
What the EPA project is about
The Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER) plans, coordinates and conducts an applied, customer-driven, national research and development program to improve decision making by EPA, federal, state, tribal and local agencies, when faced with challenging environmental problems in the built environment. Within CESER, the Land Remediation and Technology Division (LRTD) plans, coordinates and conducts an applied, national, customer-driven research program that delivers innovative and effective technologies, guidance, and tools to manage the nation’s land resources in a more sustainable and productive manner.
What experience and skills will you gain
As a team member, you will assist the LRTD staff with the analytical and administrative duties required to support and maintain a robust research program, including the administration, management, and communication of results and impacts resulting from LRTD team activities.
How you will apply your skills
Management and Administrative responsibilities shall include:
- Database and spreadsheet design, implementation, maintenance (including data entry and periodic improvements), analysis (including verifying accuracy of data, tables, figures, mathematical expressions, etc.) and presentation of data within database;
- Develop and format reports and presentations, independently locating, organizing and analyzing material in a logical and effective sequence to facilitate decision making;
- Review and edit reports and presentations of the LRTD staff to ensure that final reports reflect clear, concise information that is accurate, consistent and suitable for the intended audience; assist staff in report generation, and/or polishing successive drafts until material assumes final form;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a survey/inventory of laboratory equipment by conducting equipment survey and/or completing data collection related to inventory. This will require physically visiting the laboratory space; and
- Provide general assistance to the CESER and LRTD, as applicable, to assist in priorities (e.g., copying, deliveries, answering phones, mail-outs, etc.).
Communications-related responsibilities shall include:
- Microsoft SharePoint design, implementation, maintenance and analysis;
- Assist in assembling weekly reports for the LMMD/IO;
- Assist in organizing and hosting administrative/technical/scientific workshops/meetings; and
- Maintain administrative records, correspondence records, and action documents and maintain a system to track work in progress.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Work Experience, and Education
- Experience writing for a lay audience about science, environmental issues or public health concerns as evidenced by a writing sample;
- Experience with Adobe and Microsoft graphic design software including at least one of the following: Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Visio;
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, & Outlook;
- Experience in administration support functions (recordkeeping, filing, etc.) and managing records (electronic and hardcopy) or databases;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines;
- Strong proof reading and editing skills; and
- Strong written, oral and electronic communication skills.