- Organization: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Location: Washington, D.C.
The EPA National Student Services Contract has an immediate opening for a full time Environmental Communications Support position with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA facility in Washington, D.C.
The Office of Research and Development at the EPA supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories and at universities across the country.
What the EPA project is about
The Office of Science Advisor, Policy and Engagement (OSAPE) is responsible for the Agency’s official Scientific Integrity policy and human subject research review, as well as overseeing and managing: intra-agency science coordination, the Action Development Process leadership, the Regional Science Program, Tribal Science, External Advisory Boards, and EPA extramural research support and partnerships (including research grants and partnerships, challenges, and prizes). Within OSAPE, the Science Policy Division (SPD) supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories and at universities across the country.
What experience and skills will you gain?
As a team member, you will assist the Director and Deputy Director of OSAPE with analytical and administrative duties required to support and maintain a robust program, including the administration, management, and communication of results and impacts resulting from OSAPE activities. You will also assist OSAPE’s staff chiefs and others as needed.
Management and Administrative responsibilities
- Researching and summarizing information relating to OSAPE activities;
- Analyzing activities and processes for programs that OSAPE manages;
- Assisting in promoting and coordinating the use of web-based opportunities to foster collaboration among ORD scientists; and
- Maintaining records of meetings, correspondence, and actions, and maintaining a system to track projects in progress.
- Assisting with the logistics and coordination activities for briefings, meetings, workshops, and other collaborative efforts;
- Assisting in the development of oral presentations using graphics and other interactive formats;
- Assisting in developing summary analysis documents of results and impacts from OSAPE activities; and
- Facilitating the appropriate communication and outreach related to OSAPE activities including: creating one-page summaries, developing longer pieces based on directed background research, and developing communication materials for wider audiences.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Work Experience, and Education
- Experience writing about science, environmental issues, public health concerns or other technical or public policy subjects as evidenced by a writing sample upon request;
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook;
- Experience in administration support functions (recordkeeping, filing, etc.) and managing records (electronic and hardcopy) or databases;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines;
- Strong proofreading and editing skills; and
- Strong written, oral and electronic communication skills.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Work Experience, and Education
- Experience with webinar and collaboration platforms (Skype, SharePoint, etc.) and
- Experience with graphic design software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).