- Organization: Environmental Law and Policy Center (ELPC)
- Location: Chicago, IL
The Environmental Law & Policy Center (ELPC) is hiring an experienced public interest litigation attorney to play a lead role in ELPC’s rapidly growing Midwest Electricity Grid Transformation program. This is a great opportunity for a motivated advocate to accelerate distributed solar, battery storage, electric vehicles, energy efficiency, demand response, microgrids, and other clean distributed energy resources in Midwest states, with a particular focus on clean energy access and equity.
The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of litigation experience, especially before state Public Utilities Commissions and/or FERC/RTOs, with some appellate brief writing experience, and a strong background and demonstrated interest in clean energy policy and electric utility regulation issues.
The Environmental Law & Policy Center is the Midwest’s leading environmental legal advocacy organization. We use the power of the law and strategic advocacy campaigns to create climate change solutions, advance clean energy, protect public health, and preserve the Midwest’s wild and natural places. Our staff is made up of extraordinary individuals who work together across states and disciplines to solve the most pressing environmental challenges of our times. Learn more at www.ELPC.org.
This experienced attorney will play a leading role on a range of electric distribution grid modernization, distributed energy resource deployment, and clean energy access and equity issues across the Midwest. This attorney will report to the ELPC Clean Energy Program Lead. Core responsibilities include:
• Litigating and managing a range of cases before Public Utilities Commissions across the Midwest focusing on distribution grid planning and grid modernization, distributed energy resource deployment, and equitable access to clean energy. Attorney will work with the Clean Energy Program Lead to identify key cases, develop and manage clients and client coalitions, work with experts to develop testimony, manage and coordinate discovery, cross-examine witnesses, draft briefs and make oral arguments, among other litigation responsibilities.
• Working in close coordination with ELPC’s Clean Energy Program Lead to execute multifaceted clean energy policy campaigns, with assistance from other ELPC attorneys, communications experts, policy advocates, legislative advocates, and in coordination with colleagues from other regional and national advocacy organizations and industry representatives.
• Developing and refining strategic direction for ELPC’s Midwest Grid Transformation initiative, including assisting in fundraising to help the program grow.
• The ideal candidate should have 8+ years of litigation experience, preferably with at least 3 years of administrative litigation experience before state Public Utility Commissions.
• Excellent writing and persuasive oral advocacy abilities required.
• Experience engaging with multidisciplinary project teams.
• Familiarity with strategic advocacy that involves media, legislative, economic and policy analysis, and organizing approaches coordinated with legal advocacy.
• Demonstrated interest in clean energy policy and electric utility regulation.