You are here
- Communications and Campus Engagement Manager, EPIC
Communications and Campus Engagement Manager
Requisition Number 103911
The Communications and Campus Engagement Manager will play a central role in implementing creative strategies to improve digital and campus engagement as part of a passionate and nimble team. The manager will be a self-starter able to work under minimal supervision to grow the institute's robust online presence and foster and engage an interdisciplinary network of students. This work will include managing and expanding social media efforts, initiating new opportunities for student development, leading promotional efforts surrounding the institute's programming, and creating and disseminating information to multiple stakeholder groups.
- Manage the institute's social media accounts and website. Develop strategies and creative solutions to boost online engagement. Monitor and track online presence, record analytics and produce reports.
- Maintain and develop creative solutions to expand EPIC's e-mail marketing initiatives, including managing robust outreach and media lists. Produce monthly e-newsletter.
- Manage publicity, staging and other responsibilities surrounding events and general programming.
- Monitor the online presence (websites and social media) of associated schools and centers, as well as the University of Chicago's news and events pages, for energy-related updates that would be appropriate for cross-promotion.
- Conduct media mapping activities in preparation for report releases.
- Monitor, track and report on media coverage of the institutes' researchers and issues of topical interest. Manage daily news monitoring.
- Draft and edit occasional short news stories and other content under tight deadlines.
- Recruit and manage a cohort of EPIC student ambassadors to assist in the promotion and execution of campus events and other programing. This includes assigning responsibilities and supervising performance, as well as soliciting feedback on ways to improve EPIC programs and services for students.
- Foster an interdisciplinary student energy community on campus through various strategies, including by organizing quarterly student socials and creating opportunities for the energy/environment/climate groups on campus to interact. Supervise the weekly student-led lunch and learn series.
- Develop and maintain active relationships with student engagement professionals throughout campus, as well as key leads from each of the energy/environment/climate groups. Ensure all group members are knowledgeable about EPIC programing.
- Provide career development opportunities for students interested in the energy field. This includes initiating a series of career talks and maintaining a robust internship/fellowship database.
- Ensure students are knowledgeable about the energy, environment and climate educational initiatives, opportunities and classes on campus. This includes ensuring that the class database is updated and utilized.
- Gather content, design, produce, and disseminate a weekly student newsletter that includes news and events on campus and off campus, as well as internship/fellowship opportunities.
- Serve as an EPIC representative at student activity fairs and at energy/environment/climate group meetings throughout campus. Lead all efforts surrounding Orientation Week activities.
A minimum of three-five years of relevant experience required. This experience should include managing websites and social media accounts in a professional capacity, and working in a stakeholder engagement role, preferably with young people. Some experience working with reporters preferred, with agency experience highly valued. Experience in energy/environmental issues strongly desired and encouraged to apply.
- Strong ability to identify, forge and maintain key relationships.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in information technology and their applications to communication strategies and the engagement of young people, including through web, email and social media.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based communication methods and tools such as MailChimp and web content management systems required. Some knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently with a high degree of initiative and collaboratively as part of a team. Ability to work effectively with management, staff, researchers, students, and outside vendors and collaborators.
- Strategic thinking, project management and planning skills. Ability to manage and prioritize communications needs, perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines in a timely manner while maintaining professionalism and product quality.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills, creativity, flexibility and attention to detail.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
To apply please visit the UChicago Jobs site, here.